Since its inception in the early 20th century, Bollywood cinema has experienced a remarkable shift. From melodramatic storylines and intricate song-and-dance sequences to larger-than-life characters, these Bollywood blockbusters have made us all laugh, cry and dance to their myriad performances. The Hindi film industry saw a surge in experimentation and commercialization in the 1970s and 1980s. Today, Bollywood has truly evolved as the filmmakers increasingly experiment with modern storytelling approaches and delve into more mature issues, all while maintaining its true essence.
So, get ready as we take you down the memory lane to explore the highest-grossing Bollywood movies in India that are abundant in the essential Bollywood components of melodrama, dance and romance.
Top 10 Blockbuster Movies in India That Topped the Charts:
Below is the list of the top 10 highest-grossing Bollywood movies with no spoilers, of course!! Read further to satiate your curiosity.
1. Dangal (2016)
It is one of the highest-grossing Indian movies and reportedly the only one to ever gross above ₹2000 crore. Directed by Nitesh Tiwari, it won the AACTA Awards in the category of 2017 Best Asian Film.
- The story revolves around Mahavir Singh Phogat, a former wrestling champion who teaches his daughters Geeta and Babita the sport of wrestling in defiance of social opposition.
- As the girls prepare for the important Commonwealth Games, secrets and tensions increase, and they encounter obstacles and disputes at the National Sports Academy.
- Will Geeta overcome adversity and fierce competition to become the first Indian female wrestler to win a gold medal? Will she overcome all the obstacles and win?
Daler Mehndi’s title tune, which amps up the tension, has an earthy soundtrack masterfully crafted by music director Pritam and lyricist Amitabh Bhattacharya. In addition, the tale flows seamlessly with the hip-hop and Haryanvi rap song Haanikarak Bapu, the Dhakaad number, and the gentle melody of Gilheriyaan.
2. Jawan (2023)
Directed by Atlee, it is one of the top BlockBuster movies in India and broke multiple records at the box office for a Hindi film, surpassing those set by Khan’s earlier release, Pathaan (2023). It became the highest-grossing Indian film of 2023, the second-highest-grossing Hindi film, and the fifth-highest-grossing Indian film with a total revenue of nearly ₹1,148.32 crore (US$140 million).
- Prison warden Azad leads his team on daring expeditions to seek justice for the oppressed. They seize ministers, take over a train, reveal corruption, shut down polluting enterprises, and demand reforms.
- As Azad’s background as army commando Vikram Rathore comes to light, it reveals a fight for justice against arms dealer Kalee.
- As Azad sets out on a dangerous mission to uncover wrongdoing in Swiss banks, what twists and turns lie ahead of him? Watch the movie to see how he works his way through this complex web of deceit.
Anirudh Ravichander has collaborated with Shah Rukh Khan and Atlee for the first time. This is also his first solo composition in Bollywood. T-Series secured the music rights for ₹36 crore, a record amount for a Hindi album. Kumaar and Irshad Kamil wrote the lyrics.
3. Pathaan (2023)
Directed by Siddharth Anand, it is one of the highest-grossing Bollywood movies in India and brought in a total of $26.4 million. After earning ₹1,050.30 crore (US$130 million) globally, Pathaan ranked third in Hindi cinema history, sixth in Indian film history, and the second highest-grossing Indian film of 2023.
- 2019 saw the Indian government repeal Article 370, which set off a series of events involving Outfit X, a private terrorist group, and a cancer-stricken Pakistani commander who was seeking revenge.
- RAW agent Pathaan creates JOCR to foil their schemes and discovers a sophisticated plot spanning Dubai, Spain, and Siberia. The assignment entails fighting Jim, a former RAW agent, out for vengeance.
- Pathaan comes to know about the deadly virus Raktbeej while on a flight to Delhi. The narrative leaves the audience hanging, wanting to know what will happen to Raktbeej at the end. What unexpected turns are in store for the last showdown?
Vishal-Shekhar composed the music for the Pathaan soundtrack, while Kumaar wrote the lyrics for the two songs “Besharam Rang” and “Jhoome Jo Pathaan”. Two of Sanchit and Ankit Balhara’s original score compositions, “Jim’s Theme” and “Pathaan’s Theme,” were published on December 22, 2022, along with the soundtrack CD by YRF Music.
4. Bajrangi Bhaijaan
Directed by Kabir Khan, it is one of India’s highest-grossing Bollywood movies, which made Rs 292.23 crore. It won Best Story at the 61st Filmfare and was also nominated for three other categories, including Best Film, Best Director (Kabir Khan), and Best Actor (Salman Khan). At the 63rd National Film Awards, it also took home the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Offering Wholesome Entertainment.
- Six-year-old Shahida, a dumb girl, accidentally falls from a hill in Sultanpur, Pakistan. Her parents intend to take her to a shrine in Delhi, India, in the hopes that it may help her regain her voice. Razia, Shahida’s mother, travels with him, but when they return, Shahida is left abandoned in India.
- She accidentally meets a pious Hindu man named Pawan Kumar Chaturvedi, and the two set out to locate Shahida’s house in Pakistan. Pawan’s voyage turns into a search for humanity as he encounters obstacles related to culture and religion.
- Will Shahida reunite with her family? Watch this movie to see what surprises lay ahead in this cross-border story of kindness.
With Julius Packiam writing the score and Pritam writing the songs, the movie’s music became a huge hit. Sung by Adnan Sami, “Bhar Do Jholi” is one of the biggest singles of 2015. Eleven tracks make up the soundtrack album, and songs like “Selfie Le Le Re” and “Tu Chahiye” were at the top of the charts throughout the year.
5. Secret Superstar(2017)
Directed by Advait Chandan, it is the highest-grossing Bollywood movies in India of 2017 and the highest-grossing Indian film with a female lead. It is the second-highest-grossing non-English foreign film ever in China and the fifth-highest-grossing foreign picture of 2018 after Dangal.
- The narrative of “Secret Superstar” centres on 15-year-old Insia Malik, an aspiring singer who, along with her mom, encounters resistance from her abusive father, Farookh.
- Under the pseudonym “Secret Superstar,” she became well-known on YouTube and drew the interest of music director Shakti Kumar. Insia’s challenges in her musical career are largely related to her family and societal expectations.
- Her father, Farookh, does everything in his power to prevent Insia from realizing her ambitions, even if it means breaking her guitar. She is still adamant, though. Will she and her mom break free from the constraints imposed by her father? Will she remain a secret superstar or come out into the spotlight?
While Kausar Munir wrote the lyrics for the movie, Amit Trivedi composed the music. There are eight tracks on the album. On August 23, 2017, the music video for the song “Main Kaun Hoon” was released, and it soon became one of the best Hindi songs on every online portal.
6. PK (2014)
Directed by Rajkumar Hirani, PK is one of the top blockbuster movies in India. The movie broke all previous records after earning ₹ 263 crore in just 13 days. Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Rajkumar Hirani clinch the Apsara Film Producers Guild Award for Best Film.
- “PK” chronicles the adventures of an extraterrestrial named PK, who is sent on a research mission to Earth and has difficulties once his remote control is taken.
- He meets the journalist Jaggu in India, and PK negotiates social pressures, religious beliefs, and human complexity as their paths cross.
- The movie deftly examines Jaggu’s search for the truth. Will he gain survival skills on our hazardous planet? Will Jaggu succeed in finding PK’s remote? What will happen to Jaggu and PK’s love story? Watch the movie for all these answers.
The lyrics were written by Swanand Kirkire, Amitabh Varma, and Manoj Muntashir, while Shantanu Moitra, Ajay-Atul, and Ankit Tiwari composed the soundtrack. On October 31, 2014, the second single—”Love Is a Waste of Time”—featuring Anushka Sharma and Aamir Khan- came out on YouTube, and it soon went viral for its catchy rhymes and soft beats.
7. Gadar 2 (2023)
Directed and produced by Anil Sharma, Gadar is a popular period action drama film that was re-released in 2023 and became the third highest-grossing Bollywood movie that year. Against a production budget of ₹60 crore, Gadar 2 has made over ₹691.08 crore in revenue globally. The film has received Rs 524.75 crore from India. It is the seventh-highest-grossing Hindi film of all time.
- Tara Singh is a former Indian soldier who is seeking retribution for earlier incidents against General Hamid Iqbal of the Pakistan Army.
- He has to go on a risky quest to save her son Jeete, facing Iqbal’s soldiers and navigating through dangerous scenarios after he gets entangled in the fight.
- The narrative unfolds with themes of bravery, patriotism, and family against the setting of the 1971 war between India and Pakistan.
- Watch the movie to see if Tara will be able to save his son and if Iqbal will learn his lessons.
Arijit Singh and Mithoon sang “Khairiyat,” and Sayeed Quadri wrote the lyrics. Mithoon composes the music. On October 6, 2023, a 17-song expanded album was published. Mithoon and Monty Sharma wrote the film’s music, while Sayeed Quadri and Sunil Sirvaiya wrote its lyrics.
8. Sultan (2016)
Directed by Ali Abbas Zafar, Sultan is among India’s top blockbuster movies and earned Rs 300.45 crore from nationwide earnings. It won the Best Action Movie award at the 2017 Jackie Chan Action Movie Awards.
- The movie is the tale of a former wrestler, Sultan Ali Khan, who returns to the ring for a pay-per-view mixed martial arts league.
- Sultan’s path, driven by his love for Aarfa, a state-level wrestler, entails rigorous training, self-sacrificing, and surviving devastating setbacks, such as the death of his kid.
- The movie delves into themes of love, sorrow, salvation, and the tenacity of the human spirit.
- Will Sultan be successful in reconstructing his personal and professional life? Will he realize his dream of starting a blood bank?
Irshad Kamil wrote the lyrics for Sultan, and Vishal-Shekhar composed the music. May 31, 2016, saw the release of the soundtrack album. Nine of the fourteen tracks on the CD were part of the original soundtrack. Four of Salman Khan’s songs were made available on June 6, 2016, following the release of the original soundtrack.
9. Sanju (2018)
Directed by Rajkumar Hirani, it is one of the highest-grossing Bollywood movies in India and had the fifth-highest earnings in India. At the 64th Filmfare Awards, it received seven nominations, including Best Film and Best Director. Kapoor won the Best Actor award, while Kaushal won Best Supporting Actor.
- The biographical narrative delves into the tumultuous life of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, exploring his struggles with substance abuse, personal losses, legal troubles, and eventual redemption through his film career.
- The story spans his early days in the film industry, dealing with family dynamics, the impact of his mother’s illness, and the challenges of addiction.
- It navigates through pivotal moments, including his rehabilitation, the fallout with friends, and the controversial incidents leading to his arrest under TADA.
- Does the film help the real-life Sanju protagonist to escape the label of “terrorist” by telling his side of the story to the world? To know more, one must watch this extraordinary movie.
Six songs from the movie’s soundtrack were written by Irshad Kamil, Shekhar Astitwa, Puneet Sharma, Rohan Gokhale, and Abhijat Joshi, with compositions by A. R. Rahman, Rohan-Rohan, and Vikram Montrose. The film’s soundtrack was composed by Atul Raninga and Sanjay Wandrekar. The famous song, “Main Badhiya Tu Bhi Badhiya,” featuring Sonu Nigam and Sunidhi Chauhan, was one of the much-liked songs from the film.
10. Dhoom 3 (2013)
Directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, with its action-packed performances, the movie is among the top blockbuster movies in India. At $83.56 million and a whopping 5 billion rupees worldwide, Dhoom 3 has become the highest-grossing movie in Indian cinema history. It was the first Indian movie ever to make over $80 million.
- After “The Great Indian Circus” owner Iqbal Haroon Khan commits suicide, his son Sahir plans a heist at the Western Bank of Chicago as a form of retaliation.
- When Detective Jai Dixit follows him, he finds Samar, Sahir’s secret twin, who helps with the intricate heists. As Jai becomes friends with Samar, a complicated web of feelings and allegiances emerges.
- Will the twin survive? Will they manage to pull off their last bank heist? To know more, watch this action-thriller movie.
Shivam Mahadevan, the 12-year-old son of Shankar Mahadevan and Anish Sharma, sang the famous song “Bande Hain Hum Uske”. Siddharth Mahadevan, his older son, sang “Malang” with Shilpa Rao in the movie. The song “Kamli,” which stars Katrina Kaif, was sung by Sunidhi Chauhan.
From the magnificent spectacle of “Dangal” to real-life fiction like “Sanju”, these Bollywood movies have evoked a wide range of emotions and have inspired and educated millions across the country. These ten highest-grossing Bollywood movies are proof of the enduring legacy of Bollywood that keeps growing with time and has created a cultural impact on people across the globe. They serve as a reminder of the storytelling power, the beauty of filmmaking, and the capacity of motion pictures to unite people from all walks of life and transcend boundaries.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1.Which is the highest-grossing Bollywood movie in India of all time?
“Dangal” is the highest-grossing Bollywood movie in India. The movie depicts the inspirational journey of a former wrestler teaching his daughters to excel in the sport.
2. Which is the highest opening worldwide for an Indian movie?
Jawan is a fast-paced action thriller that follows the emotional journey of a man determined to bring social justice to the underprivileged sections of society. With its first-day gross of Rs 129.6 crore, the movie made the most money of any Hindi movie ever made worldwide.
3. Which movie has the highest day-one collection in India?
On July 10, 2015, Bahubali was released globally and shattered every record in Indian movie history. It made 50 crores on the very first day of sales. This Tamil and Telugu movie has been dubbed into numerous other languages, including Hindi, Malayalam, and French. The movie still holds the record for the largest opening-day sales in Indian film history.