On Thursday, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) shared the list of players under the annual contact where we saw various senior and new players, and were classified in 4 different categories. However, the most notable name that was missing from the list of the contracted player was of former Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
See what BCCI official had to say for the reason as to why M S Dhoni was dropped from the contractual players, at the end of the article.
This absence of Dhoni’s name from the BCCI’s list of annual contractual players raised some fresh speculations in fan’s minds on whether the veteran Wicketkeeper-batsman will continue to play for Team India or not. Dhoni has not played a single International match since India got evicted from the World Cup 2019 after losing the Semi-finals against New Zealand.
BCCI, today, tweeted from their official Twitter handle saying “The BCCI announces the Annual Player Contracts for Team India (Senior Men) for the period from October 2019 to September 2020. Saini, Mayank, Shreyas, Washington and Deepak Chahar get annual player contracts”.
The other 3 players who were seen missing from the latest list of contracted players were Khaleel Ahmed, Ambati Raydu, and Dinesh karthik. According to BCCI, the contract will serve be viable from October 2019 until September 2020. Up until last year’s contract, Dhoni was listed in A catergory players, which brought him Rs. 5 crore.
The 4 categories and their pay scale according to the BCCI contract are:
- A+ Category: It fetches Rs. 7 crore for a player
- A Category: It fetches Rs. 5 crore for a player
- B Category: It fetches Rs. 3 crore for a player
- C Category: It fetches Rs. 1 crore for a player
A total of 27 players have been categorised in these 4 categories, according to BCCI release, the players in each category are:
- A+ Category: Virat kohli, Jasprit Bumrah, and Rohit Sharma
- A Category: Ravindra Jadeja, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ajinkya Rahane, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Rishabh Pant, K L Rahul, Mohammad Shami, Kuldeep Yadav, Ishant Sharma, and Shikhar Dhawan
- B Category: Umesh Yadav, Mayan Agarwal, Wriddhiman Saha, Hardik Pandya, and Yuzvendra Chahal
- C Category: Washington Sundar, Kedar Jadhav, Manish pandey, Shreyas Iyer, Navdeep Saini, Hanuma Vihari, Deepak Chahar, and Shardul Thakur
A BBCI Official, on condition of maintaining anonymity said to PTI ” Let me clarify that one of the top-most BCCI office-bearers spoke to MS and told him about how they are going about in the central contracts. He was clearly told that since he hasn’t played any game in the said period (September 2019 till date), he cannot be included for the time being”.
As per existing rules, a player should play 8 ODIs (One Day Internationals) or 3 Test Matches to qualify for the BCCI annual contract.
What do you think? Does this cement the fact that he has silently taken retirement?
Do tell you down in comments!