- China raised deaths by Coronavirus by 50%
- WHO says, “This Is Something That Is A Challenge in an ongoing outbreak”
- Concerns growing over China hiding actual casualties
On Friday, the World Health Organisation (WHO) that there are many countries which are likely to follow China in revising their death toll due to COVID-19 once they start getting the crisis under control.
Wuhan, China, which is said to be the epicentre of the global pandemic admitted that it misstepped in tallying the total death toll and raised the count of deaths due to Coronavirus by 50% which soon raised the doubts, globally, that China is not completely transparent with the outbreak.
WHO said that Wuhan was overwhelmed by the virus which surfaced in December last year in the city and ever since the authorities had been busy to ensure that every death and infection of the novel Coronavirus was properly recorded.
It is also being reported that initially the authorities in Wuhan tried to cover up the pandemic and punished doctors who raised early alarms online. Besides, the government has been in question for the recording of infection as it repeatedly changed the counting criteria at the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak.
After Wuhan released a revised tally of deaths caused by COVID-19 for the city, the Foreign Minister of China denied of any cover up even when the change in the death toll was of 50%.
Maria van Kerkhove, WHO’s COVID-19 Technical Lead said, “This Is Something That Is A Challenge in an ongoing outbreak: to identify all of your cases and all of your deaths,” during a virtual press conference in Geneva, Switzerland.
“I would anticipate that many countries are going to be in a similar situation where they will have to go back and review records and look to see: did we capture all of them?”
She said that the authorities of Wuhan had now reviewed their databases and cross-checked for any discrepancies. In the revised report, Wuhan added 1,290 deaths which brought the total tally to 3,869 and also added another 325 cases which lead to a rise in total cases of infections to 50,333.
Kerkhove said that as Wuhan’s healthcare system was flooded there were many patients which had died at their homes and other were in makeshift facilities, and as the medical professionals were busy treating patients they could not do the paperwork on time.
Who’s emergencies director, Michael Ryan said “All countries will face this” while talking about the abrupt rise in the death toll.
However, he also urger the nations that they must produce precise data as soon as possible because “that keeps us on top of what the impact is, and allows us to project forward in a much more accurate way.”
As of Saturday morning, 2,251,770 people are infected with the Coronavirus while 154,311 of them have lost their lives. Most of the cases have come from Europe and the United States of America. But as they are now flattening the curve, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of WHO warned of a “worrying trend” which is emerging in Africa.
In the last daily count of WHO, Africa reported 11,843 confirmed cases of COVID-19 out of which 550 people lost their lives.
Former Ethiopian Health minister said, “In the past week there has been a 51% increase in the number of reported cases in my own continent, Africa, and a 60% increase in the number of reported deaths,”.
However, his colleagues said that the situation in the continent was not getting out of control given Africa’s long history of battling fatal diseases.