- According to the new revised data, the death toll rose to 1,73,123, with 1,038 new deaths.
- In worst-hit Maharashtra, CM Uddhav Thackeray has imposed severe, curfew-like restrictions on public movement for the next 15 days.
- Delhi reported 17,282 new Covid cases, the highest number since the pandemic started.
Over two lakhs new Covid cases were reported in India in the last 24 hours, an unprecedented number, bringing the total number of cases to over 1.4 crore. Since April 2, India has become the world’s worst-affected country, forcing states to scramble to implement new measures to combat the virus.
Here are the top ten coronavirus updates in India:
1. In the same time span, 1,038 people died, bringing the total number of deaths to 1,73,123. India has the second-highest number of Covid cases in the world, behind the United States but ahead of Brazil.
2. This is the fifth day in a row that the country has seen over 1.5 lakh new cases, and the ninth day in a row that the country has seen over one lakh new cases. Though it took the United States 21 days to cross a daily count of two lakh cases from a daily count of one lakh, India did so in just 11 days.
3. In worst-hit Maharashtra and capital Mumbai, restaurants are closed, and public gatherings of more than five people are prohibited. The state announced 58,952 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 35,78,160, with 278 new deaths bringing the total to 58,804.
4. Maharashtra is followed by the southern states of Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh in terms of overall caseload. The nine states with the largest number of cases in the last 24 hours are Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Haryana, West Bengal, and Bihar.
5. On Wednesday, Delhi reported 17,282 new coronavirus cases, the highest number since the pandemic hit the city last year. According to sources, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal would hold series of meetings today where he will first meet Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal, followed by the Health Minister, Chief Secretary, Health Secretary, and other top officials.
6. Karnataka had the highest single-day increase in COVID-19 cases this year, with 11,265 new infections recorded in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to over 10.94 lakh. The state government has ruled out a lockdown and instead ordered a night curfew in seven district headquarters, including the capital Bengaluru, until April 20.
7. Hundreds of thousands of people continued to flock to Haridwar, Uttarakhand, for the Kumbh Mela, which officials said would not be shortened due to the increasing number of Covid cases and would last until April 30.
8. Due to an increase in Covid cases, the district administration in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, has asked both domestic and international tourists not to visit the city until the end of April. Varanasi reported 1,585 new cases yesterday, bringing the total number of active cases in Uttar Pradesh to over 10,000, making it the third highest after Lucknow and Prayagraj.
9. From tomorrow, the entire state of Rajasthan will be under a night curfew from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. On Wednesday, the state registered 6,200 new Covid cases, including 1,325 in the capital, Jaipur, with the positivity rate skyrocketing from 2% last month to nearly 8% now.
10. India, which is home to the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer, began its vaccination campaign in mid-January and has since administered over 11.44 crore shots.