- Over 3 lakh cases have been reported for the fifth day in a row.
- The fresh increase brings the total number of cases in the country to 1.73 crore.
- Joe Biden has stated that the United States is “determined to support India.”
India has seen a new record high of 3,52,991 new Covid cases and 2,812 deaths as a deadly second wave sweeps the nation. The United States, the United Kingdom, France, and Germany have all offered assistance as the country’s hospitals are overwhelmed by the unprecedented surge.
Here are the top ten Covid-19 updates:
1. This is the fifth day in a row that the country has reported over 3 lakh cases. In the last 3 days, nearly 10 lakh cases have been reported. SOS messages for medical oxygen and drugs have been sent out on social media by top hospitals, needy patients, and their families and friends.
2. The new outbreak brings the total number of cases in the country to 1.73 crore, with 1.95 lakh people died as a result of the virus. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Sunday that the second wave of Covid-19s has “shaken the country”. The Prime Minister said in his monthly radio address “Mann ki Baat” that India’s top priority right now is to battle Covid.
3. President Joe Biden of the United States has stated that the US is “determined to assist India in its time of need”. The President of United States while addressing the issue said in a tweet, “Just as India sent assistance to the United States when our hospitals were strained early due to covid-19 pandemic, we are determined to help India in its time of need.”
4. The United States announced on Sunday that it would “immediately” make raw materials available to India in order to scale up manufacturing of the Covishield coronavirus vaccine.
5. According to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, hundreds of oxygen concentrators and ventilators are being sent from the UK to India “to assist efforts to avoid the devastating loss of life caused by this terrible virus.”
6. The European Union, Germany, and Israel have also shown interest in assisting. Janez Lenarcic, the European Commissioner for Crisis Management said via tweet, “In response to India’s request for assistance, we have enabled the EU Civil Protection Mechanism. The EU will do everything in its power to support the citizens of IN. Our #ERCC is already organising EU MS to provide #oxygen and medicine urgently in a timely manner.”
7. The government announced on Sunday that the PM-Cares Fund would be used to construct 551 medical oxygen generation plants across the country. “Oxygen plants in every district to ensure adequate oxygen availability… An important decision that will boost oxygen availability to hospitals and help people across the nation. (sic),” PM Modi tweeted. He instructed officials to get these plants up and running as soon as possible.
8. The lockdown in Delhi has been extended for another week as the number of Covid cases continues to increase. “Coronavirus is still wreaking havoc in the city. Lockdown should be increased, according to public opinion. As a result, the lockdown has been extended for another week “, Arvind Kejriwal said.
9. From Saturday, all people over the age of 18 will get vaccinated as the government expands the vaccine net. Maharashtra, Rajasthan, and a number of other states have announced that all residents will be vaccinated for free.
10. So far, over 100 crore vaccine doses have been administered worldwide. After the first case was identified in China’s Wuhan over a year ago, more than 14 crore people have contracted the virus, with 30 lakh deaths.