Tata Sons Working To Merge AirAsia India With Air India Express To Create A Single Airline Entity



  • Tatas made the first effort in such a short span to consolidate its control & establish a single company by expanding its share in AirAsia India to 84% from 51%.
  • Talace Pvt Ltd, a Tata group company, won the bid to purchase 100% of Air India and its subsidiary Air India Express on October 8.
  • The acquisition is expected to go into effect by the end of the year, pending cabinet approval.

Tata Sons Ltd, India’s largest conglomerate’s holding company, has apparently begun work on a combination between budget carrier AirAsia India with Air India’s low-cost airline Air India Express in order to achieve synergies and decrease operational expenses.

It is worth mentioning that Tatas made the first attempt to consolidate its control and form a single company in such a short period of time by increasing its stake in AirAsia India to 84% from 51%. According to people familiar with the situation, Tata is yet to finalise negotiations with Singapore Airlines (SIA) to merge the schedules of Vistara and Air India. Tata owns 51% of Vistara, while SIA owns the other 49%.

According to one of the insiders, “This is the most logical move at this stage and with Tata owning a majority in Air Asia, the integration is easier. With many experts on deck, this integration will help the group swiftly set up the single airline structure it has been planning for a while.” 

Also Read: COVID-19: India Reports 11,919 Fresh Cases Of Coronavirus And Close To 500 Fatalities In Last 24 Hours

More importantly, given the challenges involved in uniting numerous organisational structures, the Mumbai-based cars-to-coffee conglomerate had hired integration specialists to form a single aviation company.

Tata Sons reclaimed control of Air India—the airline it started over 90 years ago—in October of this year, when the Centre approved its winning bid of Rs 18,000 crore to purchase 100 percent of the struggling national carrier.

Tata Sons has recently had multiple rounds of negotiations with the top management of AirAsia India and Air India to address, among other matters, employee integration and aircraft quality and safety inspections. External integration specialists were also present at these discussions.

“There is a sense of urgency to rapidly get operations off the ground and guarantee no interruptions at customer-facing points,” the daily cited one of them as saying.

xploringindia google news
Subscribe to get the best stories into your inbox!
Swastika Dubey
Swastika Dubey is a content writer who loves to write about trending entertainment topics, fashion, and lifestyle. She also loves to listen to classic old Hindi songs and travel to new places in her leisure time. Her writing is well researched, covering important aspects and core of the topic covering crucial points.
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's choice
Jet Airways To Take Flight Again From Early 2022, Company Starts Hiring Process
Bombay HC Dismisses Kangana Ranaut's Plea Seeking Quashing Of Defamation Case By Javed Akhtar
Financial Tasks You Must Complete Before 30 September 2021
Paytm Money Launches “WealthBaskest” An Investment Advisory Marketplace