- Sushant Singh Rajput death case to be handed to the CBI says Supreme Court
- A big blow to both Maharashtra Government and Mumbai Police
- Sushant Singh’s sister tweets after the verdict
The Supreme Court of India, on 19th August, passed the order that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will take over the investigations of the late actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death case. The top court has even asked the Mumbai Police to hand over all the evidence it has collected to the investigation agency.
In what is being called as the win for Bihar in the tussle with Maharashtra, the Supreme Court of India also said that the FIR registered in Patna based on the complaint filed by K K Singh, Sushant’s father, was completely legal and Bihar was competent to ask the CBI to investigate this case.
The court said, “fair, competent and impartial probe” is the need of the hour to stop speculation.
Late actor Sushant Singh’s girlfriend Rhea Chakroborty, has asked the Supreme Court of India to transfer the FIR (First Information Report) registered by his family in Patna to Mumbai as the incident happened in Mumbai.
The top court said that the Mumbai Police had registered only an accidental death report and had limited investigation powers. However, the Bihar police had registered a “full-fledged FIR” which already stands referred to the CBI.
The Court also said that “Sushant Singh Rajput was a talented actor in the Mumbai film world and died well before his full potential could be realised. His family, friends and admirers are keenly waiting for the outcome of the investigation,” while adding that the outcome will be a measure of justice for Sushant’s father, who lost his only son.
Maharashtra has been asked to comply with the CBI probe and provide all the assistance they will need. The top court also said that if any other case was registered in connection with Sushant Singh Rajput’s death, it would also be probed by the CBI.
The Supreme Court also noted that Rhea Chakraborty never objected to a CBI probe.
Sushant Singh Rajput was just 34 years old when he was found dead in his Mumbai apartment on the 14th of June. The Mumbai Police said that it was a suicide and had been investigating whether he was suffering from depression and had been a victim of nepotism from the Bollywood industry.
After over a month of Sushant’s death, his father K K Singh filed a case in Bihar accusing Rhea and her family of cheating his son financially and also mentally harassing him.
“The Bihar Police complaint led to investigations by the CBI and Enforcement Directorate into the actor’s financial status and his father’s complaint that crores were taken out of his account,” claimed a report from a leading news agency in India.
Rhea Chakraborty, on the other hand, has rubbished Sushant Singh’s father’s allegations saying they are “total nonsense”.
In her court arguments, she said that the move to supersede the Mumbai Police’s investigation had become about politics ahead of the Bihar election.
Soon after the court order, reactions poured in from Bihar and also from the film industry.
Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Sushil Kumar Modi tweeted, “We welcome the decision of the Supreme Court to allow CBI to continue with its probe of Sushant death case on the basis of FIR filed in Bihar. Our stand vindicated. #SushantSingRajput”
We welcome the decision of Supreme Court to allow CBI to continue with its probe of Sushant death case on the basis of FIR filed in Bihar.Our stand vindicated.#SushantSingRajput— Sushil Kumar Modi (@SushilModi) August 19, 2020
Shweta Singh Kirti, Sushant Singh Rajput’s sister also tweeted after Supreme Court ordered a CBI probe in his brother’s death case, saying “Thank you God! You have answered our prayers!! But it is just the beginning… the first step towards the truth! Full faith on CBI!! #Victoryoffaith #GlobalPrayersForSSR #Wearefamily #CBITakesOver”