- Actress Rhea Chakraborty granted bail by Bombay High Court
- She will have to abide by 9 conditions or her bail could be retracted
- Her brother Showik Chakraborty has not been granted bail yet
Actress Rhea Chakraborty who was arrested over drug related charges in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case has been granted bail by the Bombay High Court, however, her brother Showik Chakraborty’s bail was rejected.
They were arrested in September by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
The Bombay High Court has set 9 conditions for Rhea Chakraborty’s bail.
- Rhea need to deposit passport
- Rhea needs to report every day for 10 days to Mumbai Police
- Furnish bail bond of ₹ 1 lakh
- Rhea cannot leave country
- Rhea cannot meet with any other witness
- Rhea must inform the Investigating Officer if she is going out of Greater Mumbai, give itinerary advance
- Rhea needs to report on the first Monday of every month before investigating agency, for six months
- Rhea also needs to attend all dates in court unless prevented by any reasonable cause
- Rhe cannot be found tampering with evidence or investigation of the case
Justice Sarang V Kotwal, who passed the orders, said that that “(Rhea) is not part of the chain of drug dealers. She has not forwarded the drugs allegedly procured by her to somebody else to earn monetary or other benefits.”
Justice Kotwal also said, “Since she has no criminal antecedents, there are reasonable grounds for believing that she is not likely to commit any offence while on bail,”.
Justice Kotwal disagreed with the argument put forward by the NCB saying that the celebrities and other role models should be treated harshly in order to set an example for the young generation and so that they do not get encouraged on committing similar offences.
The judge said, “I do not agree. Everybody is equal before the law.”
While rejecting the bail plea from Showik, the court noted that the applicant not only knew many drug dealers but was also in touch with many of them and was even transacting with them.
The court stated, “At this stage, the investigating agency has sufficient material to show that he (Showik) is a part of a chain of drug dealers engaged in illicit traffic of drugs,”.
After the verdict from the Bombay High Court was passed, Rhea’s lawyer Satish Maneshinde said they are “hounding and witch hunt” against the actor need to stop.
The lawyer said, “Truth and Justice have prevailed and ultimately the submissions on facts and law have been accepted by Justice Sarang V Kotwal. The arrest and custody of Rhea were totally unwarranted and beyond the reach of the law,”.