- Highest single day spike in India with 1,553 cases in the last 24 hours
- It yet to touch its peak in COVID-19
- 54 districts in 14 states have not reported a single case of COVID-19 in past 14 days
India saw its biggest single-day spike in the number of cases of the novel Coronavirus as in the last 24 hours 1,553 cases surfaced which took the total number of reported cases to over 17,000 which include 543 deaths as per the data shared by the Union Health Ministry.
As many as 34 deaths were reported in the last 24 days alone. A lockdown has been imposed across India since the 25th of March 2020 in an attempt to contain the spread of this deadly virus, the states across India are going to ease restrictions from today in the non-containment zones in order to boost the economy and help the underprivileged people earn their wage.
However, the Central Government has told the Union Territories and the State that the guidelines on the nationwide lockdown will not be diluted.
Here are the top 13 developments in India on COVID-19:
- India has seen an improvement in the recovery rate of the number of people who have successfully been treated for this deadly virus as per the Union Health Ministry. On Monday the rate was 14.75% while on Sunday it stood at 14.19%, on Saturday it was 13.85%, on Friday it was 13.06%, 12.02% on Thursday, 11.41% on Wednesday, and 9.99% on Tuesday.
- Over 2,500 people in India have successfully recovered from Coronavirus till Monday.
- On Sunday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that nobody has been safe from the COVID-19 outbreak, in a post he said, “COVID-19 does not see race, religion, color, caste, creed, language or border before striking. Our response and conduct thereafter should attach primacy to unity and brotherhood. We are in this together,”.
- PM Modi said, “Coronavirus has significantly changed the contours of professional life. These days, home is the new office. The Internet is the new meeting room. For the time being, office breaks with colleagues are history… I have also been adapting to these changes. Most meetings, be it with minister colleagues, officials and world leaders, are now via video conferencing,”.
- PM Modi has been holding high-level meetings with the Chief Ministers and Leaders of the States and UTs to review and get suggestions on how to fight this pandemic.
- Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao announced that the lockdown in Telangana will remain until the 7th of May. He said that from Monday the food delivery application will no longer be allowed. He added, The cabinet has decided to extend the lockdown in the state till May 7. The cabinet will take stock of the situation on May 5,”.
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has told the airlines in India to not take any booking for flights after the 3rd of May when the second phase of the lockdown is scheduled to end. In March all transportation, including trains and flights, were suspended days before the nationwide lockdown was imposed.
- The government of West Bengal has said that the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) has been supplying faulty kits and India’s nodal body for COVID-19 has been providing them with inconclusive results and have been delaying the results. Though ICRM is yet to comment on the allegations, the Director of the Council’s nodal body in Kolkata said that the matter was being seriously addressed.
- On Sunday, Union Ministre Prakash Javadekar said more relaxations will soon follow conditions being the country tackles the COVID-19 crisis in a better way.
- In a press briefing on Sunday, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare’s Joint Secretary Lav Agarwal said that in India there are 54 districts from 14 states which have not reported a single new case of COVID-19 since the past 14 days.
- Over 4,000 cases reported in India for COVID1-9 have been linked to the congregation held in South Delhi’s Nizammudin in march by the Islamic sect Tablighi Jamaat as told by the government on Saturday.
- Lav Agarwal, on Saturday, said, “A total of 4,291 COVID-19 cases or 29.8 percent of the 14,378 coronavirus infections reported till Saturday morning are linked to the Tablighi Jamaat congregation,”.
- India could touch the peak of cases of Coronavirus in the first week of May, and from there the numbers will decline, said a person from Home Ministry.
As on Monday, India has reported over 17,500 cases of COVID-19 out of which 559 people have lost their lives.