12 Children In Maharashtra Given Sanitiser Instead Of Polio Drops

12 Children In Maharashtra Given Sanitiser Instead Of Polio Drops


  • 12 children administered sanitiser instead of polio drops
  • Three officials which includes a doctor have been suspended in Yavatmal
  • The condition of the children is said to be stable now after they were admitted to a government hospital

A case of huge negligence has surfaced in a village in Yavatmal district of Maharashtra where 12 children were administered sanitiser instead of the oral polio vaccine. The incident happened around 700 kilometres from the capital of the state, Mumbai, said an official.

The children affected were all below the age of 5 and were admitted to a government-run hospital. It was reported that their condition is now stable by a district official said, who added that three healthcare workers will face action for the serious lapse.

The incident was reported on Sunday where at a primary healthcare centre in a village the National Pulse Polio vaccination drive for children between the ages of 1and 5 years of age were being given the oral Polio vaccine, the official said.

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Zilla Parishad of Yavatmal, Shrikrishna Panchal, said that 12 children below 5 years of age were given sanitiser instead of the polio drops.

He said that after being administered the sanitiser, one of the children complained of vomiting and uneasiness.

All the children who received the sanitiser drops were soon administered polio drops and also admitted to the Government Medical College in Yavatmal, said Shrikrishna Panchal.

Also Read: Myanmar Military Takes Control Over Country, Aung San Suu Kyi Detained

Though their condition is now stable, they are still under observation.

As per the per preliminary information, three healthcare workers – a doctor, anganwadi sevika and an ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) volunteer – were present at the PHC (Primary Healthcare Centre) at the time of the incident.

Panchal said, “An inquiry is underway and orders will be issued to suspend all the three healthcare workers”.

In the meantime, another official, when the incident came to light, said that it was the Sarpanch of the village checked the drops and found them to be hand sanitiser and not the oral polio doses.

After the incident, the parents in the area are under fear and have also demanded strict action against the people who are responsible for such a shocking lapse, he said.

Collector of Yavatmal, M D Singh visited the hospital and enquired about the condition of the children, said an official.

The incident took place on the Polio National Immunisation Day, which is observed on the 31st of January.

xploringindia google news
Subscribe to get the best stories into your inbox!
Ajay Kumar
Ajay joined our team as a content writer after earning his master's degree. He has been writing for since his graduation as a freelancer and raises voice for the people in need with his work. He likes to work on data-driven news reports. When he is not writing, he spends his time with his family.
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's choice
Jet Airways To Take Flight Again From Early 2022, Company Starts Hiring Process
Bombay HC Dismisses Kangana Ranaut's Plea Seeking Quashing Of Defamation Case By Javed Akhtar
Financial Tasks You Must Complete Before 30 September 2021
Paytm Money Launches “WealthBaskest” An Investment Advisory Marketplace